Communications Manager, Media Relations
At the Federation of American Scientists (FAS), we believe in embracing a growth oriented and entrepreneurial mindset to drive impact for our colleagues, our customers and the world.
The Communications Manager (Media Relations) will report to the Associate Director of Communications, and will work as part of a growing Communications department at FAS, and as part of the larger Strategy and Outreach team. The position will bolster efforts to expand FAS’s target audience reach, strengthen brand awareness, and position FAS as a thought leader. This position will involve both proactive planning and implementation of a comprehensive communications strategy as well as reactive, rapid daily interaction on issues related to FAS.This is a mid-level manager position with an opportunity for growth. The right candidate will help shape the role according to their skills, and act as a key player toward achieving significant growth and long-term sustainability for FAS.
- Build a long term media relations strategy and work cross-organizationally with various leaders to implement the plan.
- Oversee media relationships and key influencers, including pitching stories and producing press releases, advisories and organizing press calls.
- Help formulate and support an integrated strategic communications and marketing plan to advance FAS’s brand identity and increase the visibility across key stakeholder audiences.
- Work with the project teams to write, edit and produce world-class external communication products including reports, blogs, newsletters, brochures and infographics.
- Help manage social media accounts, curating and creating content that is error-free and compelling, engaging with key community members and media relationships, growing the audience, and driving interest.
- Track and analyze competitors’ outreach, messaging, etc. to strengthen our messaging and edge.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Exceptional face-to-face, phone, and written communication skills, including the ability to compellingly articulate FAS’s mission to a variety of different audiences.
- Prove ability to follow through on clear action plans.
- Motivated self-starter who values learning; contributes as part of a team and thrives in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities and handle multiple issues at the same time.
- Highly responsive to both communications requests and needs both within the organization and from external media outlets.
- 5+ years of work experience in a communications, media, or marketing role.
- 写作和制作的经验messaging, including via social media.
- Demonstrable track record of communications or media relations experience – preferably in government, nonprofit or multilateral organizations. Including, pitching and communicating with journalists, setting up interviews, helping to create and execute communications strategies.
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial culture
- Relevant professional experience in creating communications strategies and project management.
- Experience with inDesign, HootSuite, and media tracking software is a plus.
Expected Salary $75,000 – $90,000
The Federation of American Scientists is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This is a full time, exempt position and is therefore not eligible for overtime. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or national origin. The Federation of American Scientists prohibits discriminating against employees and job applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose the compensation of the employee or applicant or another employee or applicant.